- Published on 22 September 2010
The management of Northam Platinum Limited regrets to advise that the strike at its Zondereinde mine in Limpopo province continues, following the failure of the second round of mediation with the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) at the CCMA yesterday, Tuesday 21 September 2010.
Management remains firm in its rejection of the NUM’s demands of:
- a 15% increase in basic wages
- the collapsing of a number of bands which increase the demand to 19.5%
- the increase in the living out allowance from the current R1 600 per month to R3500 per month.
- in aggregate the total cost to company equates to an increase of 32%
Northam chief executive Glyn Lewis commented today, “This is a disappointing outcome after the best efforts of the CCMA. Nevertheless, we remain available and committed to seeking a resolution to this deadlock which will serve to satisfy the best interests of the company, its employees and its shareholders”